Friday, October 1, 2010

I Love A Parade!

Today was officially the end of our softball season.  How do we finish, well we have a parade of course!  It is Kirksville's homecoming tonight.  So as middle school softball team, we must line up with other sports/clubs/classes and go straight down Franklin street.  Little kids line the street looking for candy, and waiting to wave to my co-coach, Coach Dub.  They just love her!  She teaches Physical Education at the Primary in Kirksville.  She must be one heck of a teacher.  The kids eyes light up when they see her.  Almost like they are seeing Santa.  Or the castle at Disney World for the first time.  Most wave, some give fist bumps or high fives, some taking a run leap expecting Coach Dub to catch them (which she does).  They almost always jump up and down and yell "Coach Dub".  Then today, they told her they saw Coach Wagner up there.  The soccer coach is her mentor and co-teacher.  He was ahead of us with his soccer team in the parade.
I always think I will dread the parade.  Today was fun.  Our girls were pretty calm actually.  They were getting cars/trucks to honk at them on the way from the school to the parade route.  They actually made signs that read "honk if you think we are hot".  Surprisingly, not everyone honked.  :) Then they got upset.  But would cheer when the next car driving by would honk.  They are crazy. 
It was fun, but sad.  My 8th grade girls who I have been coaching for the past three years are all moving on.  I will still have most in the summer, but it is still sad.  I cannot believe they are going to be freshman next softball season.  Makes me feel old.  :)  Especially because they remind me they can all start driving next year.  Great! :)

Here is a picture of our team on the float today.


And me & coach Dub.


The two best coaches around! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment