Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Another school year, another softball season

Tomorrow is Wednesday.  What a weird day to start school, right?  Missouri schools, well Kirksville schools, start tomorrow.  While I am not a teacher, I do coach middle school softball.  So with the start of the new school year, a new softball season starts tomorrow as well.  For me, this means getting up before the roosters (as my nice co-worker puts it) and getting my butt to work by 6:30, yes, that is 6:30 am.  All so I can leave at 3:00 in the afternoon to make my way to the ball field. 
Coming from Pennsylvania, its strange to me to be playing ball in the fall.  Its nicer days, and less rainy, but to me softball has always been a spring sport.  Here in Missouri it is played in the fall.  Or, late summer since our season ends four days after the first official day of "fall". 
I love coaching, which I have said before.  Something about passing on my knowledge to the youth.  It great to teach them something then watch them actually do it.  Like get a double play, or lay down the perfect slap bunt.  Its an amazing feeling.
This year is going to be exciting.  I cannot wait to see how many kids come out for the team.  I know the 8th grade girls really well as I have coached them all sometime or another during the summer months.  The 7th grade class coming in is all new to me.  It will be interesting to see how their fundamentals are.  How much work they need, how they react to our rules. 
My co-coach is super easy to get along with.  We pretty much agree on everything, and I am sure we will have many coaches "meetings".  I am so excited to get the season going!  I will keep you posted how we do.
Let's PLAY BALL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment