Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Voting

Today is Tuesday.  In Missouri, its primary election day.  So like a good Missouri citizen I went over to our polling station and cast my vote in our primary election.  Go me.  My polling place is the public library.  There are about 6 old ladies who sit behind the table when you walk in.  They all have a job, one scans your id, the next clicks away on her laptop to make sure you are who you say you are (or who your id says you are), the next puts the little sticker that prints out in a notebook and then turns the book so you can sign your name by the sticker, then the next three ladies help you pick which party ballot you need, democrat, republican, libertarian, or constitutional.  Now, when I walked into the library today, there were a ton of people.  When I say a ton, I mean like 2.  Me and the person who was standing in front of me.  I am only telling this story, because what happened annoyed me a lot.
To paint a picture, the person in front of me had tattoo's everywhere, shaved head, a shirt with the sleeves cut off, and the arm holes much bigger than they needed to be.  He had no idea where his polling station was in town (I think he just moved).  The six elderly ladies behind the table were judging him (you could see it in their faces) because of how he looked, I can only assume.  He was not supposed to be at the library because of his address he had to go to the Moose Lodge to vote.  Fine, goodbye guy in front of me.  Then when I went through, the third lady behind the table said "well at least you are legal".  Which I can only assume she meant I was were I was supposed to be--unlike that guy.
Now, in Kirksville where I live, the primary election does not get a very high turn out from the citizens of this county.  So while I was standing there watching the situation go down in front of me, I could only think one thing.  The old ladies were judging this guy by how he looked.  He was a little rough around the edges, I admit, but I thought to myself at least he cares enough to vote.  People complain a lot about what is going on, however, when it comes time to vote and make a change about what is happening, people don't.  These ladies looked at this guy like, I cannot believe you are in our polling station...what are you thinking?  I looked at him like, well at least you care enough to vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment